The Urban dictionary defines "living in the sticks" as:
Folks who live in the sticks are often refferred to as:hicks or country blumpkins or rednecks or hillbilly or farmer or ruralite
Language- English, interspersed with poor grammar and lots of double negatives.
We live in the sticks. Although our forests are Pinyon and Juniper, so it doesn't look like a forest. Just a bunch of bushes. So what's it like living in the middle of nowhere?
Smell: skunk, cows, grass, hay, but mostly fresh air, Lydia's apple cider vinegar (quite the panacea we are learning)
Hear: coyotes, crickets, birds, the power plant down the hill (when it shuts down it gives off a terribly loud roar)
Taste: wild mint (spicy), lots of mexican inspired dishes (mucho green chiles - we're technically in the Southwest), Lydia's grass-fed beef, Lydia's honey tea,
Feel/Touch: seemingly zero humidity (I love not sweating as much), dry skin that bleeds (I don't love), wasp stings (Shawn's been stung twice since we've been here!), thin atmosphere (we're at 5787 feet)
See: some of the world's most beautiful mountains (in two directions), red rocked canyons, green fields, blue sky, more stars than I remember, happy pastured cows, goats, and one pig, one lonely old horse that probably needs a new home
Someday I will post pictures. Right now I'm still trying to figure out how to take decent pictures on another camera I'm borrowing.
One more thing. Google "Mt Sneffels." This weekend I am hiking my first Colorado Fourteener for my birthday.
No comments:
Post a Comment