Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Bethlehem - Merry Christmas from the ghetto

I had a really great time going to Manager Square in Bethlehem on Christmas Eve. I went with another couple and some other students. There were lots of locals and some really crowded areas! I thought there would be more tourists, but we mostly saw local Muslims and Christians. I think Christmas is still a time of celebration for Muslims because to them, Jesus was a prophet and even born of a virgin, he just wasn't God's son.


I've never felt unsafe in Bethlehem, and Christmas Eve was no exception. But, there were a lot of people out and its a big night for tourism so the PA had lots of security on the streets.


Looking towards the Church of the Nativity




The big stage in the square where different groups sang carols or preached.




Street food!

Felafel, of course.

Shawarma




Stars and Bucks coffee. Its pretty good.

We walked back to the checkpoint and I got a few pictures of the separation wall.

"Merry Christmas from the Bethlehem Ghetto."





A large wall encircling a Christmas tree. I really like this one because the wall really does block out Christmas from Israel...and Christian Arabs in Bethlehem.
Lots of traffic. We left around 10pm, but the highlight of the night was the Midnight mass.








Big screen showing the televised Manger Square.






1 comment:

Brooke S. said...

Great photos! Thanks for posting these. Really? Who misses a barrier wall? I'm a weirdo.

Contributors